Thursday, December 3, 2009

Too Much Rain

We were scheduled to go to Duke yesterday for Abigail's final dose increase before hitting the maintenance stage of the trial.  After hearing the forecast, I decided to postpone our appointment until next week.  I know that sounds crazy, but the weather forecast called for heavy rain here, there and all the way in between.  It seems like every other visit to Duke I'm driving in heavy downpours, and it is miserable.  Besides, the kids are staying with my parents this weekend and will already be three quarters of the way to Duke.  Made more sense to swing by and pick up Abigail Monday morning and head to Durham as opposed to going Wednesday and then driving both Saturday to drop them off and Sunday to pick them up.  Unfortunately, Abigail will miss a day of school, but then again, she is only in the 1st grade.

So we'll go on Monday, and then not again until the end of January.  That visit is only scheduled to take 45 minutes but will be a lab visit meaning a blood draw, skin prick test and saliva collection.  Given our tract record, that visit might actually take more than 45 minutes.  After that, we don't go back until mid April when we'll discuss the logistics of the food challenge which will be the end of May.  In the meantime, I'll be checking in to find out the results of all of the food challenges prior to Abigail's.

I've attached a link to an ABC News segment.  It features Dr. Burks discussing the clinical trial research.  What's neat about the segment is that you can see where we go every visit, how the drops are administered and even see some of our great nurses.  Here's the link:

Children's Food Allergies Escalate

I'm working on my first ever product give-away.  I'm quite excited about it.  Hopefully by next week I'll have all of the details worked out.  So, visit again soon.

No comments: